INCREASING SUICIDES IN KERALA : A Critical Study
In first of a series of exclusive interactions aimed at exploring the cause of this social evil, Sheikh Muhammad Karakunnu, Assistant Amir of Jama’t-e-Islami Kerala talks to JAIHOON.TV about the various reasons for suicides in Kerala.
* Literacy progress has not helped to control suicides.
* Consumerism has led to suicides
* Those who commit suicides are never blind or handicapped. Suicide is more among middle class and upper class.
* People are of the perspective that life ends with death.
* Alcoholism also increases suicides
* Farmers take loans from banks and instead of spending it on cultivation, they spend it on liquor.
* Drinking habit is given a noble place in arts and literature
* Religious organizations are unable to develop a spiritual lifestyle among its followers. They are concerned with saving the followers of other organizations from hell
* Debts are increasing in the state. Even the rich are indebted. Banks are to tbe blamed for the lavish lifestyles.
Other speakers in upcoming episodes include Munawwarali Shihab Thangal, Dr Hussein Randathani, Kamal Pasha