An ice walk in Saint Petersburg
The Saint Petersburg Mosque, built in 1913, was considered the largest mosque in Europe, outside Turkey. Situated in downtown St Petersburg, it can accommodate up to five thousand worshippers. The gents offer prayers at the ground floor while the ladies on the first floor.
The Soviet Communist regime forcefully closed the worship at the mosque from 1940 till 1956, when the Indonesian President, Sukarno, in 1956, requested to open it for the believers.
The mosque, visible from the Neva River, is symbolically located in between Peter and Paul Fortress, in the city centre.