Thakali Chatni or Tomato Chatni is a tradtional Kerala sauce taken along with rice and curry. While there are various methods of preparing it in other parts of subcontinent, the one shown above is practiced in Kerala.
Medium sliced tomato- 3nos
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
Green chilly – 6 nos
Chopped onion – 1
Mustard seed – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
Salt – to taste
Oil – 2tsp
Recipe for Takali Chatni
1) Heat the oil in a sauce pan. Once it gets heated, add mustard seeds.
2) After seeds are heated, add chopped onion and stir.
3) Then add green chilly, curry leaves and ginger garlic paste.
4) Stir the mixture for a minute and cover the pan.
5) Then add sliced tomatoes and turmeric powder to the miixture.
6) Again cover the pan till mixture gets boiled. Let it cook for 8-10 minutes on medium heat. Mix it well and the tomatoes should be soft